Searching...

Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Shield, Sword, and Crown

Hilari Bell's Juvenile/YA trilogy, The Shield, Sword, and Crown is a recent find of mine that I believe deserves a spotlight. Although taking place in a fictional kingdom, it is not a magical piece and the characters rely on wits alone, which demonstrates the author's tactical planning prowess.

After snapping up the last two volumes for one-two bucks a piece at the Strand NY (gotta love those new book deals), I willingly stayed up till five in the morning to finish Sword of Waters. Not that 363 pages is a lot to read, but I started around 1-2 AM. This being a Tuesday school night for a college student I'm talking about folks, spent on pleasure reading.

Here's a not-so-high-quality-but-compact picture of the covers, which along with the YA Fantasy sticker in my library is what drew me to Shield of Stars:

Click for bigger


Well drawn, a promise of adventure, and child protagonists. But it gets better!

While each book is told from one of the three character's point of view, you start off with Weasel, an ex-thief who you discover really does have a soft heart. Does that stop him from using his skills? Not at all, in fact you're never left at a standstill with Weasel's pickpocketing experience and quick wit. Of course, mix in Arisa, one of those brawlin', no-nonsense, I-will-keep-you-in-your-place-sharp-tongued girls, the characters are fun and unforgettable.

And another great thing about thief main characters? They are not self-righteous, they don't experience a debilitating cultural shock at every injustice, and they will always choose the path of action that surprises you. They bring you to the grit-and-dirt side of cities, that is until you discover the world of well-dressed adults isn't quite so stainless either.

One thing about Hilari Bell that makes her plot-lines so successful: You can never predict what will happen.
Just try. I mean, you'll get lucky here and there, as not every book is really investigative-based, but then you get to the second book. It has enough turns already with the whole mystery-investigation deal, but BAM. The last 50 pages turn EVERYTHING upside down. I can only brace myself for more shocks - and laughs - in the third one.

A last and somewhat inspirational note: The use of tarot or "arcana" cards in the book was an element that hit just the right percentage of foreshadowing without giving it away. One of the best things about social networking is that after finishing the book I could up and find the wonderful Hilari Bell on twitter and her website. Admittedly, she hasn't responded yet to my tweet, so I can only guess by the names that the cards she used was based at least a part on the Gaian Tarot Deck.

Silly inexperienced me rushed off after the first book and got myself the standard Rider-Waite Deck - yes, all because this book influenced me to give tarot a try. I have to say I love it, perhaps all English Majors should love a chance at practical interpretation, but now I want to get my hands on the Gaian Deck (if it's the right one) used in the book.

If you think the juvenile-young adult fantasy label makes this too young for you, then your inner child has died. Admittedly, the target audience is children and up - the reading level is witty, but no difficult - but there is a lot to enjoy. The voice, style, world-building, characterization, and particularly the creative handling of plot leaves you excited and ready for high fantasy, treachery, and royal courts.
*please excuse the overuse of the word "wit" in the post, which is truly the best word to describe the books, along with AMAZING that is

No comments:

Post a Comment